Building Reading Comprehension Habits in Grades 6–12
A Toolkit of Classroom Activities
Middle and high school coaches and content teachers: Here are great suggestions for teaching comprehension skills to students at varied reading levels and from different cultures and linguistic backgrounds.
This second edition of Jeff Zwiers’ bestseller features more than 80 classroom-tested, research-based ideas. These engaging activities are organized around six strategies of reading comprehension that need to become habits:
- Organizing text information by sculpting the main idea and summarizing
- Connecting to background knowledge
- Making inferences and predictions
- Generating and answering questions
- Understanding and remembering word meanings
- Monitoring one’s own comprehension
You’ll also find 35 reproducible graphic organizers and variations on the activities to help support English learners, struggling readers, and other students who need extra support.
© 2010 | 240 pp.
ISBN 13: 978-0-87207-506-1