This grant is no longer available.
Excellence honored in reading teacher preparation
IRA’s Certificate of Distinction program honors outstanding reading preparation of teachers. The Certificate of Distinction recognizes only distinguished programs that consistently prepare well–qualified reading teachers who know about and use evidence-based practices.
Every student deserves a highly qualified reading teacher
IRA developed a set of standards and a review process for the reading component of professional preparation programs for classroom teachers at both the elementary and secondary level.
The Certificate of Distinction can be used by program faculty to:
- Promote ongoing program improvement
- Secure resources to achieve excellence
Certificate of Distinction Award Recipients
Read the complete list Certificate of Distinction award recipients.
Eligibility and Evaluation
The Certificate of Distinction is for any graduate or undergraduate program that prepares individuals for initial licensure/certification as an elementary or secondary classroom teacher.
“Program” may refer to several different types of entities:
- an entire elementary and/or secondary initial preparation program
- a subprogram within an elementary or secondary preparation program
- other clearly defined university entities to which the word “program” applies
In each case, IRA reviews the reading components and determines if the program is providing distinguished preparation in reading.
The Certificate of Distinction supports teacher education programs that improve the quality of reading instruction preparation.
- Informed change happens as applicants complete the program evaluation and reflection process
- Knowledge base expands when highly effective reading programs are recognized and documented
- Best practices are shared, enriching all programs
- Public recognition of programs that reach for and achieve excellence
About the Certificate: Archived Articles from Reading Today
Additional Information, please contact email@example.com