Abstract of Chapter 1
How Can Teachers Effectively Use the Standards?
The Common Core
Maureen McLaughlin and Brenda J. Overturf
This chapter addresses the need for teachers to learn how to effectively implement the Common Core State Standards (CCSS) with students. The authors share their thinking by responding to the following questions:
- How can we use the College and Career Readiness Anchor Standards to gain an overview of the expectations of the Common Core?
- How should we read the Common Core State Standards?
- How can we align the content of the standards with viable teaching strategies?
- How should we assess students when using the CCSS?
- How should we plan to teach the ELA Common Core State Standards?
- What can we do differently to help our students achieve?
McLaughlin, M., & Overturf, B.J. (2012).
How Can Teachers Effectively Use the Standards?.
In The Common Core (pp. 7-16). Newark, DE: International Reading Association.