The International Reading Association is looking for five new members for the IRA Teacher Advisory Panel, also known as TAP.
TAP members advise the IRA Board of Directors about classroom literacy issues in the field. In the past, TAP members have served on IRA Task Forces, written articles about classroom issues for Reading Today, presented at the annual conference, and provided guidance on a number of items for board discussion. TAP members serve a three year term and perform most of their duties through conference calls and electronic mail.
TAP members receive conference registration, airfare, and hotel accommodations up to US$1000 to attend a half day information/training session at the IRA Annual Convention in San Antonio, Texas. International TAP members may apply for additional travel subsidy.
For the 2013-2016 term of service, TAP members will be appointed from each of the following regions:
- East – Connecticut, Delaware, District of Columbia, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, and Vermont
- Rocky Mountain – Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wyoming
- Southeast – Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia, and West Virginia
- Southwest – Arizona, Arkansas, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas
In addition to the regions listed above, TAP includes members representing regions outside North America., Great Lakes, West, Plains, as well as a United States at Large member. These members will complete their terms in 2014 (West and International) and 2015 (Great Lakes, Plains, International, U.S. at Large). Potential applicants who reside in one of these regions are encouraged to look for a call for applications for TAP in 2014 or 2015.
For this panel, a “teacher” is defined as a regular classroom teacher who spends 100% of his/her time in Pre-kindergarten -12th grade classrooms or a site-based teacher such as reading specialist, teacher librarian, literacy coach, or reading recovery teacher. TAP members must also:
- Have been a classroom teacher for a minimum of 3 years.
- Have been an IRA member for a minimum of 3 years.
- Be a member of and be active in a local, state, or provincial council or in an international affiliate and have a recommendation from that council or affiliate.
- Demonstrate a strong commitment to literacy improvement as evidenced by involvement at a school, community, state, national, or international level.
- Be knowledgeable about classroom literacy issues and have shown classroom teacher leadership.
Candidates representing diversity of race, ethnicity, gender, and age, are encouraged to apply.
Interested teachers may apply using the TAP online application form. The deadline is 5:00 p.m. EST on January 9, 2013. More information is available on the TAP webpage.
Teacher Advisory Panel at 2012 IRA Annual Convention